1.What did you do in 2008 that you'd never done before?
Kept a steady job for five months.
Saw my bank account reach a lifetime high (then dwindle back down at an alarming rate.)
Graduated from college
Played a male character in play
2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
In July I found where I’d written down my resolutions and was delighted that I’d done all of them (sort of.) They were: to graduate, to get a job, to lose weight, to keep track of my spending, and to weed out my room at home. I’m heavier now than I was at this time last year, and I really do need to start writing down my spending and develop a budget. But I did the other three with flying colors!
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My cousin Grace is gonna pop any day now, but that’s it.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
A theatre-related job (or jobs) and the monetary means to move out of my parents’ house.
7. What date from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
July 26- our first date. Aug 20 – our first kiss. Nov 2 – Left for Hawaii. Dec 25 – Billy left for Argentina
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I supposed it should be graduating, but what comes to mind is the work I did for The Misanthrope and my relationship with Billy.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I haven’t tried to get into theatre. I’ve already failed because I haven’t even tried yet. Also, my last time on a horse was a disappointment, made more upsetting because I knew I wouldn’t have the opportunity to be back on a horse for a while and that this final bad experience would be what stuck with me.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nothing as extreme as 2007: The Year of Hospital Visits. I had a wicked cold when Dalloway opened and could barely say my lines without coughing. I was also memorably sick in Montreal.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
The plane ticket to Hawaii, my digital camera, all the gifts I bought this year.
12. What was the best thing someone gave you?
I love my ukulele!
13. Were you lucky in love or lucky in cards?
Very lucky in love, and every game I played all year I lost.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Vacationing and eating out extravagantly. And lately, on climbing. If I have to be broke, at least I’m a well-fed, relaxed broke person with more upper body strength.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Billy (I know this is getting slightly one note, but it was just me and him in a bubble for half the year. It sticks with me.)
16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
“The Lyre of Orpheus” by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
Happier or sadder? In general, happier. Specifically, sadder.
Older or wiser? Both.
Thinner or fatter? Fatter.
Richer or poorer? Richer! But not as rich as I was mid-year…
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Writing, theatre, horseback riding, climbing, saving money.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Spending money, whining, taking things for granted.
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
With my brother! And parents, and then 25 relatives.
21. How will you be spending New Year's Eve?
Only just developed plans today! I’m going to eat yummy food at Richard’s house then count backward from ten and maybe get a little drunk.
22. Did you fall in love in 2008?
Yes. Emphatically yes.
23. Did you fall out of love in 2008?
Yes. Finally yes.
24. What was your favorite TV program?
The Office, Top Chef
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
No! I’ve been blessedly drama light lately.
26. What was the best book you read?
“The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay” by Michael Chabon
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Joanna Newsom, Vampire Weekend
28. What did you want and get?
A close relationship with an amazing, complicated, warm man who cared for me.
29. What did you want and not get?
To keep him.
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 22 and went to Baltimore to see my bunnies and I…don’t really remember. It was low-key I think.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
If directors came knocking on my door asking me to be in their shows, so I wouldn’t have to audition for anything.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
What’s comfy and looks cute enough that Holland would wear it?
34. What kept you sane?
The Office, Billy, driving (ironically, they could all be accused of making me crazier)
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Neil Patrick Harris! Or Cate Blanchet
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
the presidential election? I didn’t stay tapped into politics too much this year
37. Who do you miss most?
Billy, Ben, my brother
38. Who was the best new person you met?
Haha, guess. (Billy, duh.)
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008:
RELAX for fuck’s sake.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
“Svetlana sucks lemons across from me
And I am progressing abominably
And I do not know my own way to the sea
But the saltiest sea knows its own way to me
And the city that turns, turns protracted and slow
And I find myself toeing the embarcadero
And I find myself knowing the things that I knew
Which is all that you can know on this side of the blue”